PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Quirks

As anyone and everyone knows, it's our utter quirkiness that makes us beautiful.

twolist

It's quirky that I make lists for even the most free of days.

onelist

It's a quirk as clear as day that I lay them around the house and often duplicate my list just to have the satisfaction of carefully outlining a box next to this desperately important item and then carefully scratching the down and up of a check mark.
It's quirky that I set a timer for myself when no one is home and challenge myself to see how fast I can get household tasks done.
Something taught by my ever efficient mother. Hey, it works!
It's really quirky, okay, maybe weird, that these things bring satisfaction like none other.

And I've started seeing sweet little quirks in my oldest sweet one.
Like when she stops at the grocery store to carefully straighten the cans on a shelf, aligning them one-by-one to its neighbor.
Or the not as beautiful frustration when we haven't clicked her Leggo into the place on the tower that she knows it belongs.
Or the silence she falls into when patterning the alphabet magnets into a military line on the floor in the kitchen.

ellieboo

Or the other day, after I had spent the day cleaning and straightening the house for my hubby's return home from a week long business trip, when she found it utterly necessary to empty her bookshelf of all books and stack them in a laundry basket in the hall. I, busy with her baby brother, didn't notice until it was too late. I, shaking my head in partial dismay but realizing the humor in it, sighed and laughed to myself. One more thing for the to-do list. She, already busy with the next task across the room, froze and looked up at me. Padding her barefeet over to me, she gently laid her palm against my cheek, stared into my eyes and said, "Mommy, ok?" She thought I was crying. Smiling, I said, "Yes, sweetie, I'm okay." Without a word, she left the room. A minute later she was back, two baby wipes in hand from her room, grasping them in her intense little fist, she reached up and just as gently as before, wiped one of my eyes and then the other. Precious little one.

It makes me so excited for her little brother. For as short a time as he has been in our lives, he has brought so much joy. Such a sense of completion. What a privilege it has been to have him.

Tbuddy

Such a privilege to discover and love the quirks in another being.

"You formed my innermost being, you knitted me together in my mother's womb"
Psalm 139:13

And for a way to showcase your quirky beauty, check out this giveaway!


5 comments:

audrey said...

i love lists!! i don't have them scheduled though...you're amazing. you really should scrapbook those lists. i know i would've loved to see the lists my mother made when we were little.

Lauryn said...

I love lists, too! In fact, this is my first day off in about a week and a half and I've been counting down the days until I can cross things off my huge list of things to do (and yes, drink coffee while catching up on internet things is on my list) :). Ah, what a feeling of satisfaction!

Katie said...

Love the list quirk - and totally remember it from college! I love lists too - and doing chores as fast as I can. Your babies are adorable.

Unknown said...

I love lists too! I have a notebook just for making lists. Ha. Also I time myself when doing chores to force myself to do them faster...ha.

Carol said...

Such a sweet post - I love the hearts of these little innocent people & it is a blessing to get to experience life through their eyes.
I relate on so many levels with the lists & being efficient; it is refreshing to know I am not the only one! Great to see you & the clan today. Hope to see you real soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...